The Seeds and Weeds of My Life

Monday, December 04, 2006

My Christmas Tree Treasures

My favorite Christmas tree ornaments are the ones that no longer hang on my tree. When our children grew up and left home, I allowed them to take all their childhood ornaments with them. That included; the ones they made in school, Sunday school and Girl Scouts every year, the ornaments we made together each Christmas season, and the special ornaments their Dad and I gave them every year on "Christmas tree decorating night". Although I miss seeing the clothes pin reindeers and paper snowflakes hanging from the branches, I don't really mind that my tree doesn't still have my favorite ornaments on it. One of my daughters told me last year that when she decorates her Christmas tree for her own small children, hanging her own childhood ornaments on the tree helps her to remember the wonderful Christmases SHE enjoyed as a child. That means...my yearly Christmas goal was, and continues to be, accomplished! :)

Although my favorite ornaments moved when my children did, I hope you will enjoy looking at some of the other special ornaments that DO still decorate my Christmas tree!


My husband and I got married on Dec. 5th. When we returned home from our honeymoon, my parents had set up a Christmas tree in the living room of our new home and it was decorated with decorations from our wedding reception. Most of the wedding decorations didn't survive for more than a year or two, but this will be the 37th Christmas tree that this little bird from our wedding cake, has helped to decorate.



Since we were young newlyweds, without much money, instead of buying Christmas ornaments for our tree, we hand painted Balsam wood ornaments to hang on the tree alongside the wedding decorations. We still have an abundance of these wooden ornaments.


This red reindeer hung from a plastic garland we used for decorating during the early years of our marriage. When the garland had outlived it's usefulness, I saved the reindeer to hang on our Christmas trees.


When we moved to upstate NY from another state, it was a Thanksgiving week-end. Although we didn't know anyone when we moved here, we learned that neighbors in the Adirondacks are quick to befriend newcomers. One of our new neighbors created this plastic canvas church for us, even though she hadn't known us for long.


Although we lived in a different town the following Christmas, we still lived in the Adirondacks. We learned that neighborliness exists in other Adirondack towns as well! Every year, for the past 24 Christmases, one of our neighbors delivers a plate of home made cookies to us on Christmas Eve, along with an ornament she's made. This is one of the many wreaths she has made for us over the years.


The daughter of a friend of mine, made this for me one Christmas when she was still a little girl. Although she's grown up now, unlike with my own children, I don't feel obligated to give her the ornaments she made when she was young! :)


I collect ducks so, for many years, my husband gave me a duck ornament every year. These are only as couple of the ones he gave me.


This little Eskimo girl was a souvenir from Sitka, Alaska. The gal that sold it to us, made it herself. Not only is it special because it reminds me of an incredible trip, but also because that was the year my husband was diagnosed with an incurable type of cancer. Every year when I hang her on the tree, I'm reminded to be thankful that my husband is here to celebrate another Christmas.


One of my grown daughters gave me this angel a few years ago. I love getting Christmas ornaments as gifts!


One of my other grown daughters gave me this cute snowman last Christmas. Aw! :)

Thank you for looking at some of my special Christmas Tree Treasures! Thanks also to Morning Glory from Seeds From My Garden, for motivating me to do this!

11 Comments:

  • Those are wonderful ornaments! I hope you'll come by and add this post to the link on Friday so more people can come here and enjoy these.

    By Blogger someone else, at 11:11 PM  

  • I love your ornaments especially the one from Alaska and what it reminds you of!

    By Blogger kpjara, at 8:40 AM  

  • these ornaments are just lovely. The memories behind them too. I love the wedding dove. How very special. Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas

    By Blogger Karen, at 10:10 AM  

  • I'm so glad you linked this post. I'd say you still have a pretty special collection of ornaments and memories, even AFTER giving the children theirs. These are so lovely and it was fun reading about them a second time.

    Thanks for participating!!

    By Blogger someone else, at 10:21 AM  

  • Hi Trudi,
    Just stopping by on the ornament treasures tour! I love all your ornaments and although I didn't post them, we hand painted that very same balsam wood set ourselves back in the early 70's I believe. (We've been married almost 40 yrs now)
    I've enjoyed my visit here and I'll stop in again to visit!
    :)

    By Blogger Susie, at 11:12 AM  

  • The bird from your wedding cake brought tears to my eyes. Absolutely precious to have something like that on your tree after so many years. Your ornaments are beautiful. We made the painted balsa wood ornaments, too. And we have a very special ornament from Alaska since my husband's brother and his family live there. They live in Wasilla.

    I love the meaning behind each and every one of these very special ornaments.

    By Blogger Barb, at 12:39 PM  

  • Precious ornaments. I think it is so sweet that you gave your kids their ornaments to put on their trees, and I love the home made ornaments you made when you couldn't afford ornaments. I loved all of them. :-)

    I put some up, too. :-)

    By Blogger Kristen, at 1:16 PM  

  • thanks for sharing your sweetest treasures!!
    :-D

    By Blogger TJ, at 3:27 PM  

  • I so enjoyed looking at your ornaments and reading the story behind them. Like you, I gave my boys all their childhood ornaments when they moved away and I really do miss seeing them on my own tree but I'm glad they have them:-)It's amazing how simple ornaments can hold so many memories...Merry Christmas to you and yours:-)

    By Blogger Carole Burant, at 3:53 PM  

  • We also have a December anniversary and our first tree was adorned with ornaments from the trees we used instead of flowers. I only have one or two left - but I didn't take a picture of them. Hmmm.

    Wonderful stories - we all have such precious memories.

    By Blogger Dawn, at 5:01 PM  

  • That's sweet that you gave your children all their childhood ornaments. I know that is so special for them, but I imagine you really missed them the first year especially! I love that you still have one from your wedding decorations. I love the duck ones, too. And that Eskimo one really has a special meaning.

    We just got our tree up on Saturday and I just got my pictures up this afternoon.

    Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

    By Blogger Barbara H., at 4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home